Wednesday, November 12, 2008

They say that running is a mental sport. You would be surprised at how much you can do and how far you can go just by convincing yourself. It's the power of persuasion, determination and, I would say, the power of denial. Yes you're eager to cross the finish-line but you can't get there if you keep thinking about the pain in your legs. The thought of pain hinders your mentality and ultimately slows your pace. So as runners we dismiss it and that proves to take us a long way ahead..

So I was thinking about what I've been up to lately and how I feel like I've got this adrenaline pumping through me that won't stop. It feels like I've been running this race forever and the aches in my body aren't catching up to me. Maybe I'm just incredibly prepared for marathons but I know deep inside I'm not healthy. I need rest. What once started out as an ambitious goal to run to that finish-line has now turned into an obsession to run away. And far far away I have ran, too stubborn and afraid to stop and tend to my aches.

Denial. I picked up a bad habit and haven't you, too? So many of us can't face our demons. So many of us can't hold our heads on our shoulders because we're so battered up inside. Running is suppose to be a sport of good intentions but we somehow bruise the idea.

No comments: