Sunday, November 1, 2009

Life of Simplicity

Today was a good day at The Bridge. Pastor Trevor Moss spoke about living a life of simplicity and how we seem to bump into so many roadblocks along the way.

A man gave a short testimony about his near-death experience from a surgery he underwent a year ago. It was two weeks of desperately trying to save his life and afterwards he endured another 7 weeks of recovery. He said that during this time he realized that he had forgotten about the simple things in life. He was just running on adrenaline and eventually lost sight of what the most important things meant to him, like having a family.
It was no surprise to me that this man needed a near-death experience to make him start enjoying the blessings of his life, because I know I'm the same. I'm afraid that I'm quickly forgetting about what matters most to me. As I continue to steep into my daily routine, I know I'm losing sight of roadblocks... and that means I'm becoming vulnerable to that saying "You just don't know what hit you until it hits you".

God made man simple; man's complex problems are of his own devising. (Ecclesiastes 7:29)

Also, sometimes I wonder what is it that I really, truly want in life? This morning I actually felt something tug at my heart and tell me that having everything will never compensate for missing that one thing called 'freedom' in the Lord. Have I become the victim of my own selfishness and pride? Am I deceiving myself into thinking that I am free to do whatever I want, to have whatever I want, when and wherever I want? At the end of the day, does having and doing these things truly make my heart feel at peace?
The bible tells us that the place where our treasure is, is where you should want to be, and where you will end up being. Do I store up treasures here on a decaying earth or do I place my treasures in God's kingdom?

Lastly, living a life of simplicity challenges us by asking "what matters most?". Even if I can become the most affluent and influential woman in this world and a mother of a perfect family, all of it will be worth nothing if I do not know or have the love of God. Therefore, at the end of the day, I yearn for the love of God who provides for my needs and wants, who heals me from pain, and who encourages me to be stronger than mountains.

"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:33-34

1 comment:

Lisa said...

mmm so true christine.
my granda passed away this weekend, and it just really made me reflect on what's important in life and how we truly should live in each moment in God's grace, and in God's love. i had a tug in my heart today too, to really seek God's heart and to be in love with him each moment, and to really just place my arms wide open to the life that God has given me too. thanks for sharing again!!