Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Only You

Sunday worship at The Bridge, amazing yet again.
God continues to inspire me with simple surprises.



Just a few weeks ago, a colleague approached me after class and said that he had noticed I was a Christian and told me that he was too. He began to tell me about this idea of forming a bible study group specifically for Schulich students. He said "for the past 3 years at Schulich, all I've seen are people walking aimlessly in and out of this building, so tied up in their affairs and worries about school, jobs and reputation, without even knowing the possibility that there is something greater to this life than that". I completely agreed.
We talked about how the Christians at Schulich are in hiding and I felt like one of them. Doesn't that just sound... typical? We're suppose to be the salt and light of this world, aren't we? We have a mighty God on our side with all the impossibilities now possible through Him, yet we continue to strive for the very least.. or we strive for the very best and give up once it gets too tough. There is a promise that God made to us that He would never put us through something we could not handle.. but when things do really get difficult and unbearable, we complain and blame God, we start believing that God has abandoned our side, and then some believe that God must not be real because of their excruciating circumstances. But all of that is complete ignorance, right? Because when we declare ourselves Christian, as children of God, a friend of Jesus Christ.. the power of God resides within us. And the power of God is far greater than the strength of our own efforts. Hence, when we come to face these mountains, we can move them because of His promise. Never think small, never think that you can't handle it, because God has given you the power to overcome the impossible. Call me opportunistic or overly optimistic, but I am extremely realistic and rational.

Anyway, I think my point being is exactly Pastor Child's point: We set our boundaries too close and we should realize that God will exceed our limits to something unimaginable.

Why do we think and act so small? Why can't we think big like God?

So here God is, trying to speak to me through this guy who I've never had any previous conversation with before, telling me that it's time to stand firm to my faith and do something beyond my everyday habits. The Lord has told me over and over again that by God's great power and for His glory, I should be courageous and bold. And by taking one leap at a time, me and my new friend continue to meet weekly to talk about ideas and ways to serve our community better.

After 3 years at Schulich.. I'd say it's finally about time.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Amen Christine~ :)